DevTech a Consultants with United States Agency for International Development ( USAID) have on Monday held a dialogue with Members of the Nigerian Youth Parliament representing Bauchi State on gender assessment.
The dialogue held at the conference room of the Bauchi State Ministry of Information and Communication , Abubakar Umar Secretariat focus on many aspects of gender equality and equity.
Leading the discussion Habiba Abubakar together with her colleagues leading the dialogue said they are in the state to collate information from the grassroots on gender equality with soul aim of raising data that will be utilise by United States of America in formulating their policies and programs for Nigeria.
In his opening remark the Secretary to the Committee on Sustainable Development Goals and Member representing Bauchi Central Senatorial District, Hon . Engr . Imrana Garba commended the USAID for partnering with Nigerian Youth Parliament and for considering the state for assessment.
” It is a great pleasure and honor to have you in our mist, and the issue of gender equality and equity are one of the burning issues in our community.
I am assuring that you get want you want and Nigerian Youth Parliament is happy for partnering with us ”.
The dialogue was attended by Director Youth Mobilization Bauchi State Ministry of Youth and Sports, Haj. Halima I. Ahmad , Chairman North East Caucus and Member representing Bauchi North Senatorial District, Hon. Kamal Jibril Jama’are and the Vice Chairman House Committee on Transport, Hon Yelhim Zakka.
Nafiu Zwall and Yunusa Yakubu Bununu from Aspire Recovery Foundation , Engr. Abdullahi Bello from Katagum Local Government among others.
Contributing during the dialogue Yelhim Zakka urged the women and girls to rise up and contribute their quota towards fighting gender inequality in the society.
After extensive deliberations and discussions with the USAID the following recommendation were made.
- Massive awareness and enlightment on importance and benefits of gender equality and equity in Nigeria
- Both traditional and new media should be utilise effectively in sensitizing the populace on gender equity.
- Government should come up with policies and programs geared towards changing the wrong perception on gender in the country.
- Religious, traditional and community leaders should be in cooperated in ensuring the achieve the desired goals on gender assessment.
- Youths also should be in cooperated in the championing the against gender inequality.