Npower Beneficiaries to receive a Special package

0

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, and distinguished Abusite Sadiya Umar Farouq, says N-power beneficiaries need not panic as the government is planning a package for their exit.

Sadiya Umar Farouq said this in Abuja yesterday when she visited the corporate headquarters of Media Trust Limited, publishers of Daily Trust Newspaper.

“I don’t know the fears of the beneficiaries, but I know that the government had this N-power program and it’s supposed to be a two- year program. Those in 2016 were supposed to have exited in 2018, but because there was no plan in place, the tenure was extended. So, they know from the outset that it’s not a program that will be there for life.

“For us as a ministry, we’re looking at all options for the planned exit. We’re not just going to exit them to their fate, we have options and we’re deploring these options so that they can have something to fall back on. The year has just started and we hope that before the end of the year, we should come up with an exit plan,” she said.

READ  Buhari recieves Madagascan COVID-19 Herbal Drug from Guinea Bissau's President

She said the home-grown school feeding programme had been successful as almost all the states had keyed into it.

She said the ministry was working towards the early recovery of the internally displaced persons in the northeast, but would not return them to their communities until those communities were certified safe.

She said her ministry looked forward to a mutually beneficial partnership with Media Trust to deliver durable solutions to Nigerians.

READ  Democracy Day: Buhari addresses Nigerians Friday

FG to begins exit programme for Npower beneficiaries


Recall that it was earlier reported that the Federal Government has commenced the process of the removal of N-Power beneficiaries who are believed to have stayed beyond the stipulated two-year duration of their contracts.

The N-Power initiative is one of the four clusters of National Social Investment Programmes of the Federal Government designed to stem the tide of poverty, unemployment and social insecurity in Nigeria. It is a job creation and economic empowerment component of the NSIP for young unemployed Nigerians.

A senior official at the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development said that the removal was long overdue.

“The process has started and it is being done because many of the beneficiaries have naturally stayed beyond their contract terms,” the Special Assistant, Media, to the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Halima Oyelade, said.

READ  Major Nigerian Newspapers keep mute on Nathaniel Samuel's attempt to bomb a Church

Although Oyelade could not confirm the number of those to be affected, she stated that the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, had earlier hinted that the government would begin the exit scheme soon.

Farouq had revealed in December that the Federal Government was considering a complete restructuring of the N-Power program.

She told journalists in Abuja that officials of the NSIP were of the view that the N-Power initiative is restructured.

Leave a Reply